Employment law is an increasingly complex area of law and we have many years of experience in this field. We understand the various pressures which businesses face and we keep up to date with legal developments to allow us to offer a full range of specialist employment law services for employers.
It is important that any employer has in place sound policies and procedures and that they issue terms and conditions of employment which not only meet legal requirements but also protect the business in the event that a dispute arises. We can help to minimise risks by drafting and reviewing contracts of employment, employment policies and handbooks.
We are able to assist you in the event that you are faced with an employee grievance or if you have to take the step of taking disciplinary action against an employee, including dismissal. We can give you clear and straightforward advice about the process you should undertake and the options available to you.
We can draft and negotiate settlement agreements (previously called compromise agreements) to resolve employee disputes, which is a cost effective way to ensure that Employment Tribunal proceedings are not raised against you in respect of that dispute.
If you are faced with an Employment Tribunal claim, we can investigate the circumstances and advise you on the most prudent course of action, including negotiating withdrawal of the claim or settlement. Where you instruct us to defend the claim on your behalf, we can guide you through the process and provide a skilled response to the proceedings.
We offer advice and representation in the following areas:
- Contracts, including restrictive covenants (placing a restriction within an employee’s contract so that for a time limited period after the employment relationship ends your legitimate business interests will be protected, for example from competition, solicitation of clients/customers and disclosure of information)
- Policies and procedures
- Disciplinary investigations
- Transfer of undertakings (your obligations on the transfer of a business or a service provision change)
- Maternity and paternity rights
- Working Time Regulations
- Equal pay
We recognise that employment law is a minefield for employees and we are committed to helping you understand your employment rights. We are approachable and knowledgeable in all aspects of employment law and, importantly, we understand the personal impact which an employment dispute may have.
We can give you straightforward and practical advice in the following areas:
- Advice on your contract of employment, including proposed changes to your terms and conditions
- Advice on your employer’s policies and procedures
- Negotiating with your employer, including on the terms of a proposed settlement agreement
- Assistance with pursuing a grievance with your employer (or dealing with a grievance raised by another employee which impacts on you)
- Disciplinary matters, including appeals against disciplinary sanctions
- Advice on bringing Employment Tribunal proceedings
- Conducting Employment Tribunal proceedings
- Unfair dismissal, including constructive dismissal
- Maternity and paternity rights
- Working time regulations
- Deduction of wages